Tuesday, March 4, 2008

The Magnetic Fields @ The Henry Fonda Theatre, 3/3/08

I arrived to the Henry Fonda much too early only to discover rows of high school graduation white plastic foldout chairs covering the floor, with people scattered scarcely watching the overly dramatic and annoying theatrics of “Interstellar Radio Company” performing an inappropriately whimsical and jubilant seated musical version Edgar Allan Poe’s “Tell-Tale Heart”. It looked and sounded like they were voicing and scoring a really bad Disney movie. That stuff really bothers me, I’m sorry. I just always hated the overly enthusiastic drama kids from high school; the ones who were always so loud and whimsical and in your face that you wanted to kick them in theirs, and this reminded me of just that.  What a disgrace this was to Edgar Allan Poe.

When they were done, Magnetic Fields played an entirely acoustic set. No percussions. Claudia Gonson played piano, John Woo strummed the acoustic guitar, Sam Davol was on cello, and Stephin Merrit was on a bouzouki. This show was in support of their latest LP “Distortion”, yet the show didn’t have any distortion to speak of. How terribly ironic. They honestly sounded great for what it was but when you’re in the mood for the full and lush and occasionally abrasive everchanging sound of their albums, you don’t want to hear the stripped down versions of all night. And if you’re going to play an acoustic set you should fucking advertise it. Ultimately upsetting. I went to the patio upstairs and watched the concert projected onto the wall from a couch while I drank more than I usually do at a show to help numb the pain of disappointment.

Thank you Stephen Merritt for letting me down






The Magnetic Fields performing "I Don't Believe You"



Here is a playlist of GOOD Magnetic Fields songs...the last one "I Die, You Die" is a Gary Numan cover (Which I have included as well!)

I'd have to say the highlight of the night was leaving early to go to Cha Cha Lounge in Silver Lake, where my friend Sean decided to sing Tears For Fears' "Shout" on karaoke. Enjoy!

No comments: