Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Black Francis @ Safari Sam's 10/15/07

Last night I saw Black Francis at Safari Sam's in Hollywood. If you haven't been there, you should go. The shows are usually cheap, and they're always giving away free or discounted tickets; plus, the parking is free in the HUGE 99 Cent Store lot.

I've only had a couple weeks to absorb his latest solo effort, self pronounced by the man himself as a "rock opera". The album is probably the closest to old Pixies material since his first two albums under the Frank Black name. There are some weak tracks, but at least 50% of the album is really solid hard rocking material, with Black Francis showing some of his signature screams that we all love. Most notably, check out "Threshold Apprehension" and "You Can't Break a Heart and Have It".

I got there at least 2 hours before B. Francis was on, just to secure a spot front 'n center. I awaited patiently for Mr. Black while drinking a 3-second white russian (yeah I'm not going to lie, it was "The Dude" who got me into this drink early on in college) and I kept a keen eye on the portal to the backstage. The crowd was full of older people, maybe late 20s being the average bloke. There was around 3 fat bald men in the audience, and every time one would walk by, everyone would stare over, and someone would shout out "wrong bald guy!"

Black came out completely calm and subdued, modestly sipping red wine from a clear plastic cup. I've got to say that he's a bit shorter than I thought. I've seen Pixies three times, but I've never been two feet away like last night.

Anyway, he got on the mic for minutes, describing how Bluefinger was wholly inspired by Herman Brood, a Dutch musician, painter, and poet who lived the sex, drugs, and rock 'n roll cliché and then jumped off the Amsterdam Hilton Hotel in 2001 at the age of 54. Black Francis then went on to play every song off the new album in shuffle mode, admitting that the sequencing of the tracks on this one doesn't really matter. I was so close to the man that if the stage wasn't so high up, I'd be standing face to face with only a mic stand in between!

The first few songs weren't quite loud enough so I dumped my makeshift wet napkin earplugs, only to regret this later when things got really fucking LOUD! Which was awesome. He didn't move around too much and get crazy like I had seen on his recent live performances on YouTube, but it's a small stage. However, he did sweat and scream and spit like a homicidal maniac on everyone in the front stage. Sick, I know, but his sweat and spit absorbed into my skin and maybe now I will become more musically talented, ahaha!

Some of the people in the crowd were slightly annoying and disrespectful. They shouted out random stupid requests while he was explaining the songs' meanings. Black Francis even commented on all the disruptive requests coming from the crowd. He said that if this were a "request tour", then it would've been announced, and followed this statement with the smart ass, sarcastic tone of "I wouldn't want to confuse the market." I think he handled it extremely well. One guy kept pushing his way to the front with a bundle of cash, trying to give it to Black as a tip. Luckily, he didn't even look down and acknowledge this rude offer. Come on, guy, he's not a fucking stripper, put your fucking money back in your fucking wallet where it belongs!

The highlight of the night, by far, was Francis' bonus performance of a few Pixies tracks, which he introduced as "memories". Grungier versions of "Cactus", "Break My Body", and "Bird Dream of Olympus Mons" were performed!!! I couldn't believe it! Trompe le Monde was my favorite Pixies album and in the past he had only been known to perform "U-Mass"! Amazing!

When the set was over, a stagehand threw out some guitar picks, and I was fortunate enough to have grabbed one from off the floor! It is a beaten-up orange .60 mm Dunlop Tortex, my pick of choice for the last 5 years!




1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.